1.08.2009

my default is laughter

My room is cold when I come home from school and takes a couple hours to warm up after I've started a fire. So I hang out with my host family for a couple hours every afternoon, chatting about nothing and eating leftover christmas cookies.
So Gabi and I were having some warm mint tea in the kitchen a couple days ago.
She said a word I didn't know, so I asked her what it meant, and then I tried to pronounce it a couple times. para-blah-blah-blah. is what I ended up with.
"When I can't pronounce the word," I told Gabi," I try to slur it so it sounds like I'm kind of pronouncing it."
Gabi laughed.
"When you don't understand what we're saying, you laugh." she told me.
"Really?"
"Yeah. I always know when you don't know what's going on because you'll laugh at everything."
And now I'm noticing it. Gabi's right. I do laugh when I don't understand. So much for trying to play off my ignorance.

2 comments:

Mike Nork said...

so what was the word you were trying to pronounce? 'para-pants' perhaps? or maybe 'para-glasses?'

I know, I know, that was really cheesey.

Anonymous said...

Dude.

I do the exact same thing, sometimes.
Or, if I feel like they're talking about something sad, I look solemn and say "poiii.... asta e."

Fortunately, I haven't been called out on it yet.