8.21.2009

Kiev's mayor

There is a newspaper sold in Romania, Romania libera, that has a few articles from The New York Times folded between the society and business section every Friday. Whenever I remember its Friday (I'm on summer vacation, ok)I buy this newspaper at whatever newsstand I am near.
These excerpts are from an article about the current mayor of Kiev, Ukraine, a city I visited a few months ago.
"Leonid M. Chernovetsky, this city's unpredictable mayor, likes to answer his critics in his own special way.
"When Parliament memebers said he was acting bizarrely and needed a psychiatric exam, he went to a stadium where he jogged for the cameras before yanking off his shirt and doing pull-ups. He swam laps and flexed his muscles. Then he held a news conference - in his tiny bathing suite.
"'They are judging me today and want me to spend the rest of my life behind the bars of a psychiatric hospital,' Mr. Chernovetsky said. 'Look at my body, at how I express my thought. I am absolutely healthy.'"
-Friday, August 21, 2009 New York Times

Does Chernovetsky's logic make sense?

No comments: