6.19.2009

Quoth the Raven, nevermore

A month ago, my internetless home life ended when my host family got "the internet" and sent an extension of "the internet" up to my room.
No more coming to school on Friday mornings (when I don't have any classes to teach) to check my emails, no more sitting in the crowded informational room with 4 or 5 students at a time behind me, talking amongst themselves at my speedy typing skills while I write on my blog, no more showing my colleagues pictures of my friends in America on facebook, while they point at men in the pictures as ask me why I'm not dating them and then pick their favorites.
While the passing of this "internet" experience was a little sad, it was easily made up for by waking up in the morning, pulling the laptop onto bed with me and luxuriating in the New York Times and streamed Seinfeld episodes and talking to America while in my pajamas.
Saturday night, a month after getting "the internet" I was enjoying some banter between Elaine, George and Jerry Seinfeld while conversing over Skype when DARKNESS COVERED THE COMPUTER SCREEN.
Maybe it will work in the morning, I told myself.
It did not.
Maybe it will turn on again this evening?
Nope.
The neighbor who has fixed every computer in my village looked at it, even took it into his office. Still nothing. The hardrive with pictures, stories, lesson plans, music and my most recently downloaded film Papillon, is apparently fine.
So I have spent my first week of summer old style. Reading White Teeth, making spaghetti and tacos with my host families bored-on-summer-vacation 12 year old, biking to nearby towns and buying second-hand clothing, barbecues, varnishing my balcony, dog-sitting.
And yes, coming to the school to do my interneting. Not too bad, I know, but the memories of this last month are hard to suppress...ah pajamas and internet.

No comments: