5.15.2008

so soon

Today is the first day of my last week in America.
I have spent it renewing my driver's license, procuring passport photos, beating a favorite professor at backgammon and eating dinner at Barnett's Dairyette.

I will fly from Springfield, MO to Philadelphia on Monday where I will spend a couple days meeting the other forty volunteers in my group. We will fly together to Romania, with a layover in Munich. After arriving in Bucharest we will take a bus to Ploiesti, where we will spend ten weeks becoming conversational in Romanian, learning to be culturally aware and learning how to actually do what I'm going over there to do: teach English to highschool/middleschoolers.

If you want to, you can feel caring and send me a letter. My address for the first ten weeks will be
Rachel Johnson
Peace Corps/Romania
Str. Negustori, Nr. 16
Sector 2, Bucharest
Romania

Wait to send the packages, because this address only receives letters and any packages will be confiscated by behind-the-times Ceausescu agents who will eat all the black licorice you will send my way.

Adios America. Bună Ziua Romania.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Do you even like black licorice?

David said...

But you know, those poor repressed unhappy customs agents probably deserve a little licorice every once in a while...

I am so insanely happy sad jealous pleased delighted concerned anxious amazed for you. Make the last week wonderful.

David

abby said...

Freaking Johnson,
You are going to Romania. What an awesome adventure! Learn the language like a champ so that I can live through you in that accomplishment.

I will miss not being able to see you when we are in the U.S. in October. Have a good trip tomorrow!

P.S. Are you going to have e-mail access during your training?