5.23.2008

Ploiesti

I spent two days in Philadelphia, meeting the forty individuals in my Peace Corps group before we flew from JFK airport at 5:45 on Wednesday afternoon.
After 7 hours of flying to Munich (where Lufthansa provided free coffee, tea and newspapers) and 2 more hours of flying to Bucharest, I finally walked off the plane and effortlessly through customs, un-effortlessly collected 85 pounds of luggage and smelled fresh Romanian air.
We took a bus to Ploiesti where I will be staying the first 10 weeks I am here.
A few of us walked around Ploiesti yesterday. So from my vast experience, Romania seems full of bloc houses, construction, men in capris, old women wearing head scarves, wavy sidewalks, fried cheese, fresh tomatoes, pork, rainy afternoons, political campaigning, pda, stray dogs, potted flowers and park benches.
I am satisfied.

2 comments:

brad dry said...

i want to be there with you right now!

linda said...

Hip!Hip! Horray!!!

Romania loves Rachel.