4.10.2010

The easter marathon

Last Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, I had an Easter marathon of traditions and food.
At 12:30 Sunday morning, I went to the church with my host family to circle the church three times and then went back to bed.

At 10 minutes to 4, 2 hours after getting into bed, my alarm woke me up to go back to church for the blessing of the baskets.

Then I had breakfast with the sleepy-eyed Cozmatchi family at 5:30 that morning.

Slept. slept. slept. Hiked up a nearby hill, played pingpong. slept some more.

At 10 monday morning, day 2 of Easter, some friends of mine took me and Alicia, a visiting volunteer, to a string of monastaries and Daniil Sihastru the hermit's cave. He gave advice to Stefan Cel Mare, Moldova's warrior ruler who fought back the Turks from overruning Europe in the 15th century.

Monday night, in a rain storm, me, Alicia and some friends went to a traditional dance night at a nearby village. Jaunty green alpine hats are sexy.

We arrived home at 3something Tuesday morning.
On Tuesday, we visited Voroneti Monastery, known for its blue colors that retained their hue for 600 years.

Tuesday night I saw Alicia off on the night train and walked back home in a light sprinkle.
Easter is a fantastic, if rough holiday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

No sledding on your hill these days, those shoes look strangely familiar

Voroneti looks about as blue as when I was there, but the whole thing still reminds me of Hieronymus Bosch.

What's the deal with the three circles, reminds me of Jerico, also that breakfast looks like way too much work way to early in the morning.

Anthony said...

those first three pictures are magical in a very ethereal way. hope you're prospering, rachel.

-anthony