9.17.2009

the unplanned

This summer, I found out that my biggest brother, the one who sightes-in my gun before hunting season, taught me how to drive the speed limit, showed me up during tennis class, got us stuck in a Singapore jail for several hours, and with whom I lived rent-free post college...he's getting married! Next weekend!
Which means that this weekend, I will be traveling to him and his future wife...and my parents and various relatives.
The trip home starts at 6am Saturday on a train leaving my village which will take me to a city where I will get on a bus which will take me to the airport in Bucuresti. From which I will fly to Amsterdam, then to Houston and then to XNA, the airport built in the middle of nowhere Northwest Arkansas for Wal-Mart. And then I will get in a car with my mom 41 hours after I leave my village, and we will drive home.
And two weeks later I will do the same thing for the return trip.
So at first I wasn't jumping-out-of-my-seat excited about the trip. And then I told my friends and colleagues that I was going home.
"Oh you must be so excited!" they told me, with jumping-out-of-their-seat enthusiasm.
"You will get to see your mother."
"You will get to speak English all the time."
"It's your brother's wedding. You will have so much fun."
"You get out of school for two weeks," my burn-out colleague smiled dreamily at me.
"You will have to take pictures for us."
"I have some gifts for you to take to your brother"
"Tell him Casa de Piatra (House of Rock(what you say in Romania at weddings)) for me," one of my students who had met my other brother told me.
Their attitude has been infectious. I now get shivery when I think that in less than a week I will be talking face to face with my mom, grandma, dad, brothers... I will be driving, drinking large cups of coffee, making chocolate chip cookies, lounging with people who mean a lot to me.
ah.

1 comment:

Kartasi said...

Aw, I'm so happy you get to come home for a visit. And so sad that I live so far away.