5.22.2009

one year

I've been in Romania for a year.
When things of interest happen to me, I write them on file in microsoft word.
A year ago, the first thing of interest of Romania was this:
May 24, 2008
My first consumerist interaction in Romania:
The wall outlets in Romania are different than the ones used in America. Instead of two flattened prongs, the plug-ins here (and in all of Europe) are two round prongs. So I needed to find an outlet adapter before I could recharge my computer’s battery. John More a volunteer whose been here for a couple years already, and a couple other people and I (the peace corps herd) went out looking for outlet adapters. The store we walked into on the central in Ploiesti had none…but as we were leaving, the woman and John found one. But only one. The other two pc’s weren’t sure about whether they wanted it or not. So I jumped on it. Only 5.5 lei. John was preparing to take my money and pay for it for me.
“no,” I said. “I want to pay for it.”
“ok”
So I walked into the store and catch the owner’s eye.
She sees the adapter in my left hand and the money in my right hand and begins a stream of Romanian. My befuddled mind tried to make sense of the gibberish, but failed. I called to John with a “deer in the headlights” voice and he graciously came over and said something to the woman. Then she began motioning to me and pointing and John's eyes and John muttered something about her talking about his blue eyes. We finally got away with a “mooltzumesk” and for me a sense of satisfaction at my first Romanian purchase.
Which, incidentally, broke when I tried to use it later that evening. A bad omen? I hope not.


so far it has not been a bad omen. And summer is coming and I not only really like my life but am a little proud of myself.
And when people to talk to me in Romanian it doesn't sound like gibberish anymore. thank goodness.

No comments: