3.06.2009

normal

I was walking down the incredibly-muddy-my-boots-slide-around-in-it road and saw a horse hooked up to a cart which had a huge pile of hay stacked on it. A man was standing on top of the hay with a pitchfork pitching the hay into the attic of his barn.
This scene is a daily occurrence here and something I don't even think about anymore. Although in America I would have had to pay some museum fee to see a mannequin doing the same thing...or visit the amish.
I have gotten used to
men in high rubber boats and knit wool jackets walk through the center of town with their ax slung over their shoulder (woodsman as career choice)
the smell of sheep farm lingering in a room after a neighbor's visit.
writing my internet to-do list throughout the week and then spending a concentrated three hours of checking off the list on Fridays
not knowing what is going on in the world (colleagues at school ask me, "did you hear about that big storm in America?" I reply, "huh")
subtitles on almost everything.
the option of drinking in the teacher's lounge
buying frozen vegetables with Ukrainian written all over it. No wonder Europeans know many languages. Life would be so frustrating if you didn't.
brushing my teeth with water from a bottle. Darn frozen water in frozen pipes in frozen winter.
eating at other people's houses at least 3 meals a week.
walking past a bunch of horses hooked up to their carts across the street from the old man bar. (drunk horse-cart driving anyone?)
Romanian
starting fires to be warm

so you get the idea. I'm a changed person. kind of.

No comments: