12.10.2008

reunionism

I am at the big conference that every peace corps person participates in after 4 months of living at their respective sites.
Which means seeing everyone that met romania with me and who I learned romanian with during the summer.
So we talk over each other about our different lives and we find the common threads that is Romania.
But none of has the same experience...and some of us are almost fluent and others of us rarely use romanian.
And we are staying in a big hotel with hot showers that have enough water pressure to just blast the dirt off without the help of soap...and heated rooms. Oh the beauty of heated rooms without daily making a fire in my soba.
And we have snowball fights when we're walking back from the evening out
and I have spoken more english in the last few days than I have for a month
and it's nice to wake up in the morning and converse without translating everything into a second language.
and it is reminding me that I am part of a larger group (easily forgettable when I'm in my village)
and I am glad to have this week for refreshment, new ideas and good times.
And I know I will be ready to go back to my village come sunday.

No comments: