11.12.2008

running

I run 2 or 3 times a week. I have for the last few years.
Running keeps me from bottling anger, makes me tired, gives me routine, is something I can check off a to-do list.
So when I first moved to my Romanian village, I was a little concerned. Running isn't done here.
So I didn't run for the first couple months, reasoning that I didn't need to be more of a fish in a fishbowl than I already am.
Then the natural anger and frustration began to get thick and I reasoned, the whole town knows I'm American, so why not just act odd. And so I do.
Bunicas (grandmas) stop me on the road and ask me what I am doing.
I have been offered beer-on-the-run as I ran past a couple of my neighbors.
One old man wearing an alpine cap acted like he was jogging with his bowed legs.
An old woman asked me why I jog and I explained for health of my body and mind. She said I was thin so I didn't need to run. Then she lifted up her shirt to show her belly, that looked as if she'd birthed several children, and told me that someone like herself probably needed to run.
Some of my students run with me for a few blocks.
And so now I run for the anticipation of what will happen next.

4 comments:

Esther said...

Wasn't the women's marathon winner of the Olympics from Romania? I might be making that up. I like reading your stories.

Anonymous said...

Keep on running!! Sounds much more interesting than running on a treadmill in some gym here in America. Hope you are doing well. Looking forward to reading more blog entries.
Mel

BOONE SOMMERFELD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BOONE SOMMERFELD said...

I once made a comment about exercise being linked to mental health and emotional stability...

I will never mention this thought to the opposite sex again.