4.24.2008

escalator enchantment

I am fond of airports.
They are full of entertaining people.

I was sitting near baggage claims yesterday, between an octogenarian having issues with his razor phone and a young family with a curious four year old and a barely walking two year old.
The four year old distracted me from my book, calling out, "Mommy, canidoitagain? Mommy, canidoitagain?"

I started watching the little boy who, on receiving permission from his mother, pulled his father towards the down escalator. He jumped excitedly onto the first step. A couple minutes later, the father and son appeared on the up escalator.
"Mommy, canidoitagain? canidoitagain?" The boy jumped up and down, like a puppy waiting for a treat.
This time the mom carried the two year old and took the escalator ride with her boy.
As soon as he stepped off the up escalator, he looked at his mom. "Canwedoitagain?"
And they did.

1 comment:

David said...

Rachel! Hooray. A new blog for the list. I'm out of the scene, don't blog much myself, don't follow my friends' blogs too well. This makes me not only lazy but also disloyal, a bad combination. You wouldn't've (nice double contraction, eh?) expected it of me, would you?

Best,

David Carruth